Certainly, most of you knew about internal health benefits of coconut oil as well as its effects on skin or weight loss as I mentioned to in previous article. Today, I am continuing tell about benefits on hair which you can get from this healthy oil.
Some reasons why coconut oil is used for hair
Shiny, lush, manageable and healthy hair is real benefit which you can get form using coconut for hair. Coconut oil has lauric acid, anti-microbial properties, and medium-chain fatty acids and it is also rich in vitamins, minerals and other nutrients, which are not only good for skin or weight loss but also keep strong hair, condition the scalp, and enhance hair growth. So it is used as a natural, multi-tasking hair care product.
- Hair is described as a tube which is hollow from inside. Therefore coconut oil completely fills up the hair shafts making your hair looks denser and fuller.
- Coconut oil is an effective, safe, and reasonably priced solution for thinning hair. This helps reduce hair loss and promotes your hair grow longer, thicker, and faster thanks to the vitamins and essential fatty acids found in coconut oil. These nourish your scalp and support to get rid of sebum build-up from hair follicles.
- Coconut oil also has ability to retain moisture so it is essential for well-moisturized and strong hair to keep it shiny and silky.
- Like skin, Hair is easy to be damaged in the sun. With an SPF of 8, Coconut oil is considered as a natural sunscreen. If you are planning to go out in the sun for long time, use it as a leave-in conditioner to protect your hair all day. Coconut oil is an effective and safe sunscreen for adults and children alike.
- In addition, coconut oil has nutrients and antibacterial properties which are ideal for strong hair and protect scalp from bacteria/protozoan/viral infections. Plus, many women have been using coconut oil to stop getting gray and keep their hair dark even when old.
- If you have long or curly hair, tangles often make you difficult to brush. Coconut oil is a great solution to this. It’s 100% natural, so it won’t leave any damage to your tresses.
- Chemical shampoos, conditioners, styling products, or colorants often make your scalp itchy, flaky, dandruff. You can also use coconut oil to heal it thanks to its strong antiviral, antimicrobial and antifungal properties which can kill fungus as well as viruses and bacteria that may lurk on your scalp. In fact, Dandruff shampoos sometimes actually make dandruff worse, and don’t fix the root cause.
- One of the best uses of coconut oil is used as the treatment and prevention of lice. Because this oil can deeply penetrate the hair shaft as well as the scalp that helps to repel lice and prevent their eggs from attaching to the hair.
- Coconut oil is also used as an excellent medium to mix your all-natural hair coloring. Because this oil penetrates hair more deeply and faster than others, it can make your color more vibrant and prevent it from fading too quickly.
- Lastly, coconut oil is a great styling agent without dangerous chemicals in conventional hair care products. Hair dryers, hot rollers, flat irons, and curling irons take the moisture out of the hair shaft making your hair brittle and prone to tangling. Coconut oil helps to protect hair from thermal damage and reduce moisture loss. Plus, for curly hair, by penetrating into the curls coconut oil helps to tame the frizz.
10 Best Coconut Oil Hair Products
1. Viva Labs Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
Viva Labs Coconut Oil originates from rich volcanic soils in the Philippines. This cold pressed high quality coconut oil is USDA certified. You can easily have it in solid or liquid since it melts at 76 degrees.
What will make you satisfied is that the coconut oil moisturizes your hair. It can be used as a hair mask once a week and leave your hair soft, shiny as well as tangle free. You can rinse the hair easily and make it look clean and oil-free with extra bounce. Try applying the oil to the ends for extra protection from split ends or to the scalp to stop dandruff and prevent hair loss.
Last but not least, after about a month and a half, your hair will also grow quickly.
2. Nature's Way Extra Virgin Organic Coconut Oil
This 32-ounce extra virgin organic coconut oil is not too greasy or fragrant. You can put this on your hair and leave it on for at least 30 minutes before washing to attain smooth and silky hair. In case you possess an oily scalp, then avoid a direct contact with it but concentrate on the hair instead. For first time using, just start with a small amount and not overuse it because it might reduce hair volume, especially if you have oily hair.
It’s ideal to mix the coconut oil with shampoo and conditioner when you don’t have much time for a hair spa. Mix about 5-10 drops of the oil with shampoo or conditioner, then do your own things and wait for it to penetrate your hair. After rinsing and drying, your hair will feel incredibly good without excess oil.
3. Pure Body Naturals Coconut Oil Hair Mask
This coconut oil hair mask is 100% natural and has a nice, creamy, and soft consistency with a lovely light scent.
It is comprised of an impressive ingredient list: coconut oil, shea butter, argan oil, rosehip seed oil, betaine, ginger oil, Vitamin B5, Vitamin E, etc.
Basically, the product is an intense conditioner. You can leave it 5 to 15 minutes on your hair for 2-3 times a week in order to gain soft and silky hair. Besides, this regimen also helps strengthen and hydrate hair.
You will notice a significant difference after a few times. Nicer and softer hair can be felt and there is a lot less frizzy. The silkiness makes it much easier to manage and style.
4. Nutiva Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
This brand of coconut oil is really good; you don't have to worry about the smell of coconut because its scent is very faint. It will go away after a few minutes. Specially, it absorbs into your hair very quickly, so you don't have to worry about leaving greasy spots on your clothes or pillows. I like that it is in a 54-ounce container.
For hair regimen, rubbing it into your scalp helps your hair grow and moisturize. Another way to apply this oil is to mix it with a leave in conditioner, rub the mixture on your wet hair, and then style.
5. Art Naturals Fractionated Coconut Oil
Made with 100% pure cocos nucifera, Art Naturals Fractionated Coconut oil has no additives or artificial fragrance. The product comes in a large 16-ounce bottle and a pump as a bonus. It has 100% satisfaction guarantee ensuring a money back offer.
If you don’t like the scent of coconut, this is probably the oil for you because there is no aromatic scent at all.
Fractionated Coconut oil is an ideal hair care treatment for dry and damaged hair due to its rich antioxidant along with disinfectant properties. The oil also has good moisture that is essential for healthy hair growth because coconut oil enhances blood circulation to hair follicles. Moreover, it’s not greasy, so you’re likely to add the oil to your favorite shampoo to treat dry scalp and dandruff.
6. Island Fresh Superior Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
Island Fresh's coconut oil is virgin, organic, and cold-pressed. For a generous clear 54-ounce bottle, you can see how much left. It’s unrefined and cold pressed, so this keeps all of the oil’s properties and makes it stay solid that you easily scoop out.
If your hair is brittle or damaged, the oil will help get back the lost shine from within. Besides, apply it to roots and ends weekly in order to repair split ends and get radiant and healthier hair looking. The coconut oil will allow your hair to flow smoothly through combing and styling.
7. Carrington Farms Organic Coconut Oil
This cold pressed, unrefined and organic oil works well on your hair as well as skin. Moreover, you can also use it for cooking purposes since it has a fat-free feature and will help you retain your food in good quality. The oil is free from all kinds of hydrogenated fats and totally gluten free. Moreover, it is said that this is among the best deals on Amazon for coconut oils.
The product seems to help with hair dryness as it moisturizes very well. Vitamin E, K, and iron in coconut oil will make hair softer, give it more volume and eliminate dandruff.
8. Fractionated Coconut Oil by Pure
Since this oil stays a liquid, it is the top selection for mixing with essential oils and aroma therapy. The bottle comes with a snap-up cap and a pump. It has no scent, good consistency and the bottle size is a great value. In addition, this oil can withstand very high heat, so it is ideal for cooking too.
The oil is great for rejuvenation and treating damaged or dry hair because it penetrates hair shaft without greasy feeling or buildup. You may add a little to your shampoo or apply it directly for an intense treatment.
9. Natural Carrier Oil by Premium Nature
Natural Carrier Oil is 100% natural and made to suit every hair type. The good thing is that it is quite easy to utilize and also colorless and odorless. Moreover, the oil is so light and thin that it can be mixed with either essential oils or other carriers as well.
Besides, this coconut oil product contains antibacterial properties and a great balance of saturated fats helping the growth of longer, thicker and stronger hair.
What I like about this hair mask is that it doesn't leave my hair greasy at all. A high amount of protein in coconut oil will protect the roots and strands of your hair, giving shiny hair that you dream of.
10. Pure Coconut Oil for Hair & Skin By COCO & CO
This is one of the best organic coconut oil for hair. It uses a special process that people spin cooled milk to separate milk impurities and the oil. The process is repeated carefully a few times to extract the pure oil. The oil is an immaculate white solid at room temperatures and it easily melts in the warmth of your hands.
Apply it to hair overnight as a deep conditioner to give extra shine and elegance to your hair. Moreover, it’s proved to be effective in strengthening and growth of hair. You can gain shiny hair within no time
Especially, it is a great treatment for color-damaged hair. After using this product, you can get your soft and bouncy hair back.
How to use coconut oil for hair?
1. Use for Deep Conditioning
Firstly, wash your hair and let it naturally dry while preparing necessary things such as a comb, small towel or shower cap to wrap your hair in and jar of organic virgin coconut oil dipped into a hot water or warmed in the palm of your hands to be completely melted before using. Next, use your fingers to sooth the oil into your hair (1 teaspoon for short hair, 2 teaspoons for shoulder length hair and 1 tablespoon for long hair) then brush with a comb. After finishing applying the oil to hair shaft and ends, and then rubbing into scalp, use a shower cap or small towel to wrap your hair up in and allow it to soak in for at least thirty minutes or as long as possible. Finally, shampoo to remove oil.
For dry or damaged hair, you should add a couple of drops of sandalwood oil or geranium oil to support moisture retention and increase the effects of the coconut oil for hair.
2. Use to deal with tangles
Before styling or brushing your hair, use coconut oil follow these few simple steps to deal with tangles:
Prepare a wide toothcomb and a jar of organic virgin coconut oil dipped in hot water to melt it. Use your fingers to apply and massage slightly the oil into your hair, pay particular attention to tangled areas and damaged ends and then massage toward the roots. Use a wide toothcomb to work out tangles. Let this oil soak in without rinsing or shampooing. Brush and style as usual and coconut oil will nourish your hair all day.
If tangled hair still continues, you should trim the damage ends to solve this. And If you have thin hair, just apply little coconut oil for styling and avoid applying to the scalp because this can weigh down the hair.
3. Use to defeat dandruff
Just follow these simple steps daily and your dandruff problems will be completely solved.
Prepare a comb, a towel to cover your head and a jar of organic virgin coconut oil. Wash your hair with a natural shampoo as usual before going to bed. Make coconut oil melt by dipping jar of coconut oil in hot water and mix 2 teaspoons of coconut oil with 5 drops of lavender, wintergreen, thyme, or tea tree oil which all help to fight yeast and fungus. Next, use your fingers to massage the oil into your scalp gently from neck to forehead, and behind the ears. Wrap your head with the towel and leave your scalp with coconut oil overnight for best results. The following morning, you need wash hair with gentle natural shampoo.
4. Use as a Base for Hair Coloring
You need to prepare a shower cap, a comb, gloves, coloring herbs, a container for mixing color, and a jar of organic virgin coconut oil. Melt coconut oil before using. Then Mix a few spoonful of coconut oil with your coloring herbs and apply this mixture on your hair. When color has set, shampoo your hair with lukewarm water to remove excess colorant and oil. Wrap your hair with a shower cap to allow color to continue setting overnight.
5. Use for faster hair growth
As I mentioned above, coconut oil can enhance hair growth. Use this as a daily treatment following these simple steps I make sure that you can have faster hair growth:
Prepare a comb, shower cap to wrap your hair in, and of course organic virgin coconut oil. Wash your hair with an all-natural shampoo as usual before going to bed. Use comb to work out tangles while waiting for coconut oil completely melted by dipping a jar in hot water. Use your fingers to massage the oil into your scalp for 10 minutes (you will only need 1 teaspoon if you just focus on hair growth and scalp conditioning) and then wrap your head by the shower cap overnight with coconut oil on your scalp for the best results. When massaged into the scalp, coconut oil will help to improve blood circulation and support hair growth. Shampoo your hair as usual to remove oil in the following morning.
You can add 4 drops of rosemary essential oil to increase new hair growth over 20% and produce fantastic results.
6. Use to protect hair from sun damage
Use coconut oil to protect your hair from sun damage by following these simple steps:
Prepare a jar of organic virgin coconut oil with hot water and a comb. Dip a jar of coconut oil in hot water to make it melt. Use your fingers to massage the oil into your hair then brush with a comb as usual. Coconut oil will protect your hair when going out in the sun.
7. Use as lice treatment
Mix 3 tablespoons of coconut oil with 1 teaspoon of each anise, ylang ylang, and tea tree oils if your hair has shoulder-length, but double the recipe for longer hair. Massage this mixture over the scalp and brush the hair with a fine toothcomb. Cover your head with a shower cap and let it work for 2 hours. If possible, sit in the sun or use a hair dryer to increase the heat and promotes effect on hair. After 2 hours, comb hair again before washing and rinsing. Combine 1 cup water and 2 cups of apple cider vinegar in a small spray bottle. While hair is still wet, spraying ½ the bottle on the hair and scalp and then use the remaining mixture to massage lightly over the hair. Then, rinse comb hair again. Finally, apply little coconut oil to hair and let it remain on the hair until next washing.
This treatment should be repeated every 5-10 days for a couple of weeks to make sure all lice, and their eggs to be eradicated.
8. Coconut Oil Shampoo
Instead of using commercial shampoo, using coconut oil one will leave your hair softer and healthier. And this is recommended coconut oil shampoo recipe which you can refer:
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup liquid castile soap
- 50-60 drops of favorite essential oils (lavender, peppermint, wild orange, lemongrass, rosemary, rosemary and clary sage)
Melt coconut milk and coconut oil together with very low heat to not lose any of the nutrients. Pour this combination and the castile soap into a bottle with a secure lid. Shake well. And then add into 50-60 drops of favorite essential oils, shake again. You can reduce the coconut oil amount for fine hair and increase for hick dry or curly hair. Squeeze directly on hair the wash, and rinse well.
You might also like: Best oil for hair growth and strength
using coconut oil for hair is one of the best methods you can do to stay away harmful chemicals concluded in many commercial hair care products and keep hair strong, shiny, nourished, and manageable. Look for extra virgin organic coconut oil to have maximized results. I hope with suggested use, you can have heathier hair with coconut oil.