Jojoba oil, also known as Wax Ester, is a kind of wax deprived from the seed of the evergreen jojoba shrubs, which is scientifically named as Simmondsia Chinensis. This plant is native to California, Mexico and Arizona. Despite it being widespread alongside human history, the amazing values of jojoba oil remained unknown to us until recently when whale killing has become illegal. In search for an alternative to oil source, human accidentally discovered jojoba oil and gradually experienced the unlimited health and beauty benefits it has to offer.
Jojoba oil is one of the rare botanical oil that resembles the oil found in human skin. For this reason, by applying jojoba oil onto your skin, you trick your skin tissues into believing that this is its own produced oil, thereby balancing the production of oil of your own skin. Acne treatment using jojoba oil is mainly based on this mechanism, which also helps avoid side effects that may often seen in applying herbal oils on skins that are susceptible to allergy. Similarly, the oil has the same natural effect on your scalp, making it become one of the most loved botanical oil for hair care enthusiasts around the world, which we will discuss in detail below.
- 1 Benefits of jojoba oil for hair growth
- 2 Top five jojoba oil for hair growth
- 3 How to use jojoba oil for hair growth?
Benefits of jojoba oil for hair growth
Jojoba oil is one of the most nutrient-loaded and pricey herbal oils in the market. It is enormously conducive to healthy natural hair strands and scalp. As it turns out, jojoba oil is the only natural oil which molecular structure mimics the sebum, the oil naturally produced by your scalp. With this major property, jojoba oil becomes one of the most popular natural hair care items because of the following reasons:
1. Maintain oil balance
It is instantaneously absorbed by the scalp and does not confuse the scalp’s natural oil production. This can only be possible because of the similarity between the two.
2. Hair conditioner
Having 98% of mono-saturated fats and 2% of saturated fats, it can penetrate deeply into hair follicle and nurture hair fiber from the inside, resulting in more resilient hair strands. Jojoba as a conditioner does not only provide nutrition but also cleanse and provide cooling effect on hair and scalp.
3. Healthy scalp
With antibacterial property, jojoba oil cure scalp problems such as dryness, dandruff and other dry scalp problems. Well-moisturized scalp is a major step in having strong and beautiful hair.
4. Hair growth
Jojoba helps add volume to thin hair. People suffering from hair loss due to environmental factors can benefit hugely from jojoba oil because it strengthens hair from its root by adding the essential fatty contents and vitamins.
5. Hair therapy
Adding jojoba oil into other essential oils in a massage session can boost hair growth. Being non-greasy and light in odor, jojoba oil is suitable for daily use without consuming much time or inconvenience.
6. Heal damaged hair
Jojoba oil has emollient property, which can treat hair damaged by overexposure to heat and styling. It does this by filling in cracks on the surface of the cuticles with nutrients and vitamins.
Top five jojoba oil for hair growth
Organic benefits. The product is purely extracted from plant into a liquid wax ester that resemble sebum- the naturally-produced oil on your scalp and skin. Entirely free of chemicals and phony substances or fragrance, this jojoba oil works well on different types of skin. People with extremely dry scalp or related problems can apply on a daily basis without fear of it being too greasy or causing allergy.
Perfect moisturizer. Without leaving any unwanted oily residue, this product becomes favorite moisturizer of many customers for its amazing result it leaves on their scalp and hair. Smooth, silky and strong hair strands become incredibly achievable once you make sure your scalp receives sufficient moist it needs. And this jojoba oil item does a great job of balancing your scalp’s oil natural production, faciliating a nurtured environment for resilient and beautiful hair.
Effective hair conditioner and aromatherapy: You can either use this product as a main ingredient in your personal-made conditioner or as a participatory oil in scalp massage sessions at home. The clement yet potent property of this jojoba oil results from the fact that it contains 100% pure oil extracted from the Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) seed only. You can even leave the oil overnight for better result.
Organic premium quality. This product is 100% pure organic jojoba oil that has gone through cold-press procedure, which means that the oil retains most of its flavor and nutritional values that will then pass into your scalp and hair strands. The rich concentration of vitamin E and antioxidants in organic jojoba oil allows it to be extremely versatile, with usage ranges from facial care, hair care to body moisturizing.
Quality vs. price. For its commitment to quality, this Israel-origin product comes at a considerably higher price than our first candidate. Therefore it will be more suitable with those who are already familiar with jojoba oil and know what to expect. Beginners might opt for the lower price item at first before deciding on their next expectation.
100% satisfaction guarantee. ArtNaturals focuses primarily on product quality and showcases their goodwill by implementing the generous return policy. If you are unsatisfied at any time after your purchase, you can just return it to the manufacturer in exchange for a full and prompt refund.
Versatility. This product works best on different skin types and applications, for both men and women. The rich ingredients enables the oil to penetrate deeply into even the driest and thickest skin of men or those living in areas of harsh and dry weather. It is a recommended item in your household cabinet indeed.
Inflammatory Benefits. This item is another excellent jojoba oil which offers great perks for your hair and skin care. Among other benefits for hair, this product is particularly suited for treatment of acne, dry scalp and skin and other skin infections like eczema, psoriasis and inflammation. Many customers feedback that they have their acne symptoms effectively ameliorated and cured after treated with this jojoba oil.
Dryness solution. This is another item that work beautifully on problems related to dryness, either on hair or skin. Because of its thick concentration of vitamins and antioxidants, this organic jojoba oil penetrates deeply into your skin layers carrying all the nutrients with them to nurture the cells from the inside out. Therefore, it help recovers the moist level to the necessary threshold and keep it in balance. Similarly to its other counterparts, Golden jojoba oil can make perfect conditioner or hot treatment for damaged hair that needs intensive care.
Good quality and price. This item comes at a very reasonable price. However, its quality does not compromise at such a price. Instead, the product is made at considerably high quality and guaranteed to be 100% pure and organic. Thus, it is suitable for both beginners or long-time enthusiasts of botanical oils for hair and skin care.
Easy-to-use design. The oil is stored in a pink labeled dark brown bottle for an elegant look and UV-protective purpose. In this way, jojoba oil can withstand longer with time without going rancid too quickly. The glass pipette does a good job of measuring the right amount of oil you need and make sure that you do not waste any.
Manufacturer’s guarantee. You can return the product within 30 days if unsatisfying. The return policy is flexible and customer-friendly, without any hassle or questions and answers required.
Versatility. Similar to other jojoba oil, Leven Rose offers you another good organic-qualified jojoba oil that you can choose from. You can apply it as either a make-up remover, facial cleanser, body moisturizer and various other treatments for hair and skin. The product contains only pure jojoba oil extracted from the raw seed of jojoba, making it extremely safe and gentile for our body skin, nail, scalp or even the delicate parts like lips or eye circles. Some customers also feedback that they successfully reduce stretch marks and crown’s feet using this jojoba oil.
Organic certification. This item achieves the certification from both USDA and EcoCert for being truly organic. It contains 100% undiluted cold-pressed oil, is pesticide-free and hexane-free, which is one of the most sought-out features that oil lovers consider when they buy natural beauty care products. Without a doubt, this invention by RejuveNaturals tops our review list of jojoba oil in 2016 for its high commitment to quality and human health.
Versatility. For most parts, there are much similarity in applications of this jojoba oil and the other candidates that we reviewed previously in this article. So what is good about its multiple perks that I can offer? It all lies in the fact that this jojoba oil entirely made free from harmful chemicals and this features is organic certified by reliable organizations in the field of food safety. Therefore, people with serious concerns about such issues can be totally satisfied with our last pick. Some common usages of it includes improving hair texture, revitalizing damaged hair, sunburn treatment and many other skin care applications.
Good for face. For its clement and yet potent property, this jojoba oil can cleanse or supplement your face with moist and provide noticeable effects within a short time. Most importantly, its potency does not mean that it is so strong that it could cause side effects or allergy. The entire load of organic ingredients allows this amazing effect to happen while leaving your skin or scalp soothing and non-greasy feeling right after rubbing in.
UV-protective container. The dark bottle is made for UV protection so that the liquid inside can withstand longer with time and sunlight.
How to use jojoba oil for hair growth?
- 2 tablespoons jojoba oil (approx. 30ml/ 1fl.oz)
- 5-10 drops of an essential oil of your favorite scent (i.e. rosemary, lavender or peppermint, etc…)
- Mix jojoba oil with the essential oil and stir.
- Dip your fingers into the mixture and apply onto your scalp, massage gently. You should spend more time on the area of most severe hair loss or scalp dryness such as the temples or top of the head.
- Leave it for 15-20 minutes for deep absorption.
- Rinse your hair and scalp carefully with shampoo and warm clean water.
- An alternative way is to leave the mixture on your hair overnight for fully soaking. Just need to make sure you wear a shower cap to protect against mess in the morning.
- Repeat twice a week for a minimum of 6 weeks and up to 3 months for concrete results.
In addition to the massage recipe above, you can use jojoba oil for hair growth in two other simple ways:
- Mixing with shampoo or conditioner. If you want a daily boost of moisture and nurturing power, try adding several drops of jojoba oil into your shampoo or conditioner. If you have damaged hair or dry scalp, simply use a little more oil. This will improve your hair and scalp texture and strength if applied regularly.
- Personalized conditioner. Mix jojoba oil and guar gum by the ratio of 3:1 with distilled water (every teaspoon of guar gum with one cup of water). You can also add some drops of a favorite essential oil for refreshing scent. Then simply shake it well and apply after shampoo as normal conditioner.
Questions and Answers: Jojoba oil for hair growth
1. Which vitamins does jojoba oil contain and why are they essential for hair growth?
Jojoba oil is highly concentrated with essential fatty acids omega 6 and 9, vitamins A, D and E. All of those work together to bring your scalp moist and nutrients it needs to grow silky, resilient and young-looking hair that will withstand better with time and weather. The best thing about jojoba is that it has the powerful ability to penetrate deeply into layers and layers of skin to supply it with nutrition thanks to the similarity in chemical structures of jojoba oil and the oil naturally produced by your scalp and skin.
2. What are some tips when buying jojoba oil for hair growth?
- Consider the type of oil you want. Note that while unrefined jojoba oil is golden in color, the refined one is transparent and odorless. You might want to use the unrefined one if you prefer the natural smell of the oil.
- Another thing to take into consideration is whether the oil is cold-pressed or not. Cold-pressed process enables the oil to retain most of its subtle flavor, color and nutrition values, all of which then pass onto your hair and scalp.
- Look for trustful brands that make only organic and chemical-free products.
- Do count your skin sensitivity into your buying decision. Purchase in small amount to test first before commit to any particular product or brand. As different people vary in their hair and scalp textures and conditions, various brands fit into people differently. So, do mind your first steps in your journey with herbal solutions in general.
3. What are some precautions when using jojoba oil for hair growth?
- Although jojoba oil is edible, you are not recommended to take it internally. The oil is unhealthy as it can cause digestive problems; it could even become poisonous if digested in large amounts.
- If you find strange smell with your oil, it is probably the oil has gone rancid after extended period of storage. Let’s stop using it and return it to your seller in exchange for a new one. Always check expiration prior to application. In some rare cases, jojoba oil when used inappropriately like this could hair fall or other unexpected side effects. Therefore, make sure you buy the quality one from a reliable merchant.
4. What is the shelf life of jojoba oil?
Many plant oils quickly go rancid after a while of storage. Jojoba is actually not an oil but rather a wax ester which molecular structure can resist itself from rancidity. Therefore, it has an extensive longevity on shelf and can sustain better with time without losing its best values. This property is probably one of the reason why jojoba oil is a perfect item to be stored in either your home cabinet or travel remedy kit.