Jamaican Black Castor oil has extremely good reviews and is more popularly used to provide additional benefits for people who have thick or dry hair.
Aside from coconut or olive oil, which I wrote in the previous article, today I want to mention another healthy oil, Jamaican black castor oil. This has also been popularly used all over the world for many centuries because of huge benefits on health, skin and especially hair.
- 1 Best castor oil for hair growth
- 2 Benefits of Jamaican black castor oil for hair
- 2.1 1. Prevent Hair Losses and Promote Hair Growth
- 2.2 2. Balance scalp pH
- 2.3 3. Treats dandruff and scalp problems
- 2.4 4. Retain hair pigment
- 2.5 5. Condition Hair
- 2.6 6. Keep the shine of your hair
- 2.7 7. Get rid of split ends
- 2.8 8. Make Natural homemade hair masks
- 2.9 9. Sealing
- 2.10 10. Stop Male Receding Hairline
- 2.11 The differences between castor oil and Jamaican black castor oil (JBCO)
- 3 Use castor oil to prevent hair loss and promote hair growth
- 4 FAQ about castor oil for hair growth
- 4.0.1 1. Does Jamaican black castor oil have a strong smell?
- 4.0.2 2. How else can I use castor oil?
- 4.0.3 3. Can castor oil be applied to all hair types?
- 4.0.4 4. How to use castor oil for hair growth?
- 4.0.5 5. Can I mix castor oil with other oils or styling products?
- 4.0.6 6. Will castor oil weigh my relaxed hair down?
- 4.0.7 7. How long does it take for this stuff to work on hair?
- 4.0.8 8. Can castor oil help my beard grow?
- 4.0.9 9. Will castor oil cause my hair to fall out?
- 4.0.10 10. Will castor oil make my scalp itch?
- 4.0.11 11. How exactly can I get the oil out of the jar? I'm afraid to pour because I don't want it to come out too much.
- 4.1 In conclusion
What is castor oil?
Castor Oil is often described as “miracle oil” because of its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties used for many health and beauty treatments. This oil is made by pressing the seeds of the castor plant, also called Ricinus communis, which is largely native to Africa and India and due to slaves trading, this plant appeared in Jamaica. It consists of 18 fatty acids. Especially, this oil is well known for being a great source of ricinoleic acid and because of its high ricinoleic acid content, castor oil often has a higher price than other seed oils.
Best castor oil for hair growth
This is considered as the best all-natural emollient at this time. It is 100% pure Castor Oil pressed from the seed of Ricinus communis, no harsh chemicals and tasteless and odorless. Now solutions castor oil is used by thousands of people and receives good feedbacks.
It is not only a great product for hair growth and strengthening but also a good moisturizer. You just need to simply add a few drops to your favorite shampoo, and then wash your hair. And after a couple of months, you can get your thick hair back. Besides, many ones like how it is made their hair feel. It feels really soft and appears shiny.
The oil is a bit thick and not runny. So in case the smell or thickness is not your favorite, just mix it with other carrier oils. But this oil is not too greasy and surely you will like this feature when there are no more stains on clothes.
Tropic Isle Living Jamaican Black Castor Oil is rich and light brown oil processed by roasting castor beans. And as I mentioned above, Black Castor Oil often has more benefits than traditional castor oil. This oil has been used to help stimulate hair growth, prevent hair damage issues. In other words, this is a great addition to any hair regimen.
It is popularly utilized for hair and scalp issues. This product adds more moisture to your hair, you will realize your hair much softer after one time using and your scalp won’t be dry after one week.
The oil has a slight odor; therefore, you should use it before shampooing your hair. Because of its thickness, possibly dilute it with lighter or essentials oils. Adding more essential oils also makes it smell better if you don’t like its smell.
Last but not least, the economical price per bottle for this bulk purchase is also a good thing that you should consider to get one.
Isle brand of Jamaican castor oil has a reputation as an ideal healing oil product for hair. Apart from Tropic Isle Living Jamaican Black Castor Oil mentioned above, Sunny Isle Jamaican Black Castor Oil is also a useful selection.
It is totally processed with old traditional ways. People still roast and ground castor beans using manual means before boiling them to extract 100% dark brown, purely organic oil. Because of less process, more natural nutrients will be in the final product, so you have chance to get better hair treatment aid.
This castor oil is a great option for those who want to have healthy and beautiful hair. Home Health Castor Oil is made from pure ingredients (Hexane free). This will help soften your hair and promote hair growth if you use it regularly without any damage from chemicals in hair care products.
Applying it with a right amount and adding essential oils if possible, then you will see your hair improvement after just few weeks. This oil is reviewed to help hair softer; the texture is soft and manageable as well. People having split ends also should use this product to have glossier hair.
Finally, it can be said that this oil comes in a high quality with an excellent task of promoting moisture and hair growth but the cost is reasonable.
It is 100% Pure Cold Pressed Castor Oil. Castor seeds are picked by hand and extracted by cold press so as to preserve the botanical actives for the highest quality that actually will impress you for the first time use.
Other ingredients of this product are omega-6 and omega-9 fatty acids that help nourish your hair much. After few weeks of regular usage, you will see the great result of naturally longer and thicker hair you have always dreamed of.
There is no dry scalp and dandruff anymore because the oil gets absorbed so easily and cleanly. Moreover, it has anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties, so by massaging it into the scalp, dandruff and other scalp conditions will be clear out quickly.
Moreover, you also can get rid of split ends by applying castor oil on the ends of hair for half an hour before washing.
One more good point is that only tiny drop is enough for each time while the bottle is big with 473 ml, so maybe you will have to need another one for many months.
You can enjoy a lot of benefits of this 100% certified organic, unrefined, cold pressed and 100% Hexane Free castor oil only by a few drops. It doesn't contain artificial chemicals and has great abundance of essential fatty acids a long with rich nutrients that work effectively for your hair loss and hair problems as well.
Foxbrim 100% Pure Organic Castor Oil is a good hair regimen that can replace beauty products having artificial chemicals and more expensive price.
Someone sees that this oil is so thick that it makes their hair greasy and sticky. So I recommend that you should put it in your shampoo or mix with other ingredients. This way also helps your hair more healthy and hair follicles grow longer.
Benefits of Jamaican black castor oil for hair
As we know, for many centuries, castor oil has been used to treat a lot of ailments. Thanks to Vitamin E and Omega-6 fatty acids contained in castor oil, it becomes a natural hair treatment. Besides, Jamaican black castor oil is raw, so it has more nutrition, which make the hair thicker. In order to help you have full understanding about the benefits of castor oil for hair, I would like to tell some popular benefits which many people have got from these types of oil.
1. Prevent Hair Losses and Promote Hair Growth
Castor oil is great in promoting hair growth. When you use this to massage your scalp, its antifungal and antibacterial properties help your hair fight against dandruff, folliculitis and scalp infections. Additionally, its ricinoleic acid content also helps promote blood circulating to the follicles, which will speed up the growing process to give you longer and thicker hair. This oil also contains omega-9, an essential fatty acids for healthy hair. In fact, my friend wasted a lot of time struggling with postpartum hair loss and promoted hair growth. Her hair regrew very slowly. But after using castor oil hair treatments twice a week for a month, her hair grew 2 inches longer. And in the following months, her hair was obviously thicker by continuing using this oil. Plus, it helps control hair breakage, reduces split ends, moisturizes and conditions your hair as well.
2. Balance scalp pH
Ricinoleic acid contained in castor oil also has the ability to help balance scalp pH and replenish scalp’s natural oils. And importantly, this can remove some of the damage caused by harsh chemical hair products. Besides, the antioxidants of castor oil increase the keratin in hair to make hair smoother, stronger and less frizzy.
3. Treats dandruff and scalp problems
Scalp infection is the main cause of dandruff, bald patches, an itchy scalp and other hair problems. In this case, castor oil is a great treatment for you. Because this oil has antifungal and antibacterial properties, it can fight pathogens and microorganisms, which cause the infection.
In case you have dandruff and dry hair, make hair mask with this oil: mix 1 tablespoon of olive oil with 1 tablespoon castor oil of with juice from half a lemon. But if you have dandruff and oily hair: mix 1 tablespoon of castor oil, 1 tablespoon of honey and 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel together and then also add juice from half a lemon. Apply this mask onto the roots of your hair for 30 minutes before shampooing to get rid of dandruff as well as nourish your hair. Or you can apply directly to dry areas of your scalp before shampooing.
4. Retain hair pigment
In case you see the first signs of graying on your hair, immediately applying castor oil to prevent hair from losing more pigment. In other words, it helps retain pigment of your hair, and delays your hair turning white or gray. Also, it is used to give your hair a darker and richer hue. Its ability of retaining needed moisture helps increase dark color of your hair as well.
Only use a pea-sized amount of castor oil and combine with your regular conditioner, then apply evenly throughout your hair, wait for several hours to have not only darker but also softer and healthier hair.
5. Condition Hair
Castor oil is an excellent treatment for dry and damaged hair. This oil has the humectant properties, which helps lock in the moisture in your hair to prevent it from turning dry then make it softer and smoother. Add just 1 teaspoon of castor oil into your leave-in conditioner and shake well. After shampooing, apply it to your hair and you will see better hair in 2 weeks.
6. Keep the shine of your hair
Warm up a small amount of castor oil and massage on your hair, use a towel to wrap your hair in and leave for an hour or overnight then shampoo as usual, since its ability is to give a protective coat to the hair shaft. This will provide and keep the moisture of your hair as well as condition it to give you a beautiful glossy hair. However, you should only apply this once a week to avoid experience of an oily scalp.
7. Get rid of split ends
This oil contains many nutrients including vitamin E, omega-6 fatty acids, and other essential amino acids that can help treat and prevent split ends. Before shampooing, you just need to apply this oil on the ends of your hair for half an hour and do this regularly at least for 2 weeks; you will have healthier and shinier hair without split ends or being dry. Or you can also mix this oil with light oil, like jojoba or olive oil to have better results.
8. Make Natural homemade hair masks
To improve your hair’s overall appearance, try making hair mask with castor oil. Add a little castor oil into a cup of warm kefir. Mix well two ingredients and then apply this all over your hair. Wrap your hair with a towel and leave the mask overnight. Then wash off in the next morning. If you use it regularly for several weeks, you will have shinier, softer and healthier hair.
Castor oil is a major ingredient in textured hair products because this oil has the ability to maintain moisture in the hair and prevent the natural dryness of hair. After moisturizing hair with a water-based product, apply this oil for a long-lasting seal.
10. Stop Male Receding Hairline
A receding hairline is a popular problem of many men. Although there are many available commercial products for receding hair, castor oil is considered as the natural treatment, which is often utilized to stop this issue. With benefits I mentioned above, this oil can perfectly heal baldness, but it is a great treatment to stop excessive hair loss and hair thinning.
Firstly, apply a few drops of castor oil to your hair and gently massage your scalp and hairline in a circular motion. Wrap your head in a shower cap and leave it on your hair overnight to allow the castor oil to absorb into your skin fully. Shampoo and condition as usual with light shampoo if possible to wash the oil off the next morning. Use this at least once a week to have clearly improvement for your hair.
The differences between castor oil and Jamaican black castor oil (JBCO)
There are two types of castor oil: castor oil (or yellow castor oil) and Jamaican black castor oil (JBCO). There are some differences between them that you should keep in mind when shopping for hair products.
- Color: The most obvious difference between these oils is the color. Normal castor oil usually has a yellow color while Jamaican black castor oil has a darker color due to the burnt ashes of the castor beans.
- Processing: Both yellow castor oil and Jamaican black castor oil are made from castor beans but with different processes. Specifically, for Yellow castor oil, there is no heat involved to its processing because it is made by pressing fresh castor beans that helps reduce risk of degrading the oil. On the other hand, Jamaican black castor oil is produced by roasting the beans. A dark color of this oil is the result from the ashes of the roasted castor beans.
- PH-Level: different processing leads to different products with differences in PH-level and consistency. The ash burnt in JBCO enhances more pH level (alkaline) of this product than yellow castor oil.
- Benefits: Both types of castor oil are packed with 18 fatty acids that are very good for scalp and hair. This is reason why they are often used for scalp conditions and hair growth. But due to the different processing, specifically by roasting castor bean, JBCO also has some added benefits.
Generally, Jamaican Black Castor oil has extremely good reviews and is more popularly used to provide additional benefits for people who have thick or dry hair.
Although there are a lot of available types of castor oil on the market, I want to make it by myself. Castor oil is extremely viscous and thick so I often mix it with herbs and other hair-healthy oil in a glass dropper bottle for easy application to increase scalp health support.
Use castor oil to prevent hair loss and promote hair growth
Hair thinning and hair fall are common problems to both men and women. There are different reasons causing hair loss such as poor diets, genetic issues, prolonged ailments, excessive use of styling products, hormones, menopause and pregnancy), no matter what the reason of hair loss is, it is curable. Castor oil is one of the best miraculous ingredients in the market that can curb hair loss and strengthen hair growth. And here is necessary information that you need to know about castor oil for hair growth.
About 90 percent of castor oil consists of Ricinoleic acid- Omega-9 fatty acid, which is a great discovery for hair growth. It has the ability to penetrate deeply into the pores and nourishes both the follicle and the hair. It restores and renews the scalp health to promote growth of hair. This acid also prevents keratin damage caused by the harsh rays of the sun and pollution. So it not only strengthens new hair growth, but also protects the hair from damage and thinning. Besides, this also helps balance pH level of the scalp and cures problems like dandruff and scalp acne to make the hair stronger, shinier, longer, and thicker. Plus, castor oil destroys infection-causing organisms thanks to its antiseptic and anti-fungal properties to improve scalp quality and facilitates hair growth. Especially, when massaging the oil into the scalp, this oil encourages blood circulation under the follicles that makes them healthier and stimulates to produce more hair.
Castor oil is great to treat hair loss and promote hair growth. You just simply apply several drops of this oil to your scalp and massage gently, wrap your hair with a shower cap and keep it overnight or at least several hours, shampoo and condition to wash off the oil in the next morning.
However, sometime it might not appeal to many people because of its dense structure and peculiar smell. There is an amazing solution for this, which is combining this oil with other healthy oils like coconut, sweet almond and sesame oil. This combination is a perfect treatment.
- The extra virgin coconut oil used for your hair with a subtle fragrance penetrates deep into the shaft, and works as a great emollient for both undamaged and damaged hair.
- Sweet almond oil is also a miracle oil containing oleic acid that deeply regenerates and moisturizes the hair follicles. When this oil is mixed with other natural oil, it allows the scalp to breathe without any clogging.
- Additionally, sesame oil with the perfect combination of linoleic acid and oleic acid has the ability to control the production of sebum to avoid excessive oiliness. It also consists of vitamin E and B, a lot of fatty acids and essential minerals that work towards improving hair quality.
In order to make this combination, you need to prepare:
- 2 Tablespoons of Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- 2 Tablespoons of Sweet Almond Oil
- 2 Tablespoons of Sesame Oil
- 1 Tablespoon of Castor Oil.
Mix these four together, and massage this concoction into your hair. To have quicker penetration, you can warm the oil a little. Keep this on your hair overnight for the best results and shampoo to rinse it off the next morning. Instead of making for only one time using, you can make it in larger quantities and store it but remember to add a vitamin E capsule to lengthen the shelf life of this oil. When using only the oil, try weekly treatments. But if you mix it in conditioner, use daily treatment or depending on your hair texture and type.
Some Tips When Using Castor Oil Treatments on Hair
- If you want to try and use castor oil for your hair, firstly refer to your doctor before doing any self-treatments.
- Before using any new oil, or products for hair, you should test a tiny amount of them on your wrist to avoid the case that you may have allergy reaction to castor oil. Although reactions are rare, some people still have irritation from it.
- Castor oil is very thick so it is difficult for you to apply it. Diluting the castor oil with other oil such as argan, coconut, avocado, jojoba, or sweet almond is highly recommended to have easier applying.
- It is best to warm up this oil before applying to your hair for maximum penetration.
- Instead of warming up the castor oil in the microwave, you need to put the jar of oil in hot water for 2 to 4 minutes to make it easier to apply.
- Castor oil often has bad smell. Consider adding a few drops of a fresh-smelling essential oil such as peppermint, rosemary, or tea tree to mask the smell.
- Do not misunderstand that you can use castor oils as much as possible. For many things, more is not always good. Just use a needed amount for your hair and 1-2 times per week to have a safe and effective result.
- Before using a towel to wrap around your head, warm up it by soaking with very hot water then twist the towel to get out excess water in order to make the oil work more effective.
- This oil works better on damp hair than wet, so I place a spray bottle of water in the bathroom to spritz roots of hair before applying castor oil.
- You should apply this treatment at least several hours or overnight to have maximum benefit and in order to remove the castor oil easily, because if it is applied in long time, most of the oil will be absorbed into the hair and scalp, you can use natural shampoo or mud shampoo.
- A special way to break down the oil and add additional nutrients to the hair is to whisk an egg until smooth and massage this into the scalp, then shampoo as usual.
- Combine this oil with hair growth serum is also a good way to have great results (use the serum to dampen hair before applying the castor oil)
FAQ about castor oil for hair growth
1. Does Jamaican black castor oil have a strong smell?
No. It gets a traditional and authentic burnt smell because people roast the castor beans. Its smell isn’t offensive, and fades quickly.
2. How else can I use castor oil?
Castor oil can be used to gain longer, thicker and stronger eyebrows and eyelashes.
3. Can castor oil be applied to all hair types?
Yes. This product contain natural ingredients so it is safe and effective for all hair types to deal with many hair issues like split ends, dry, breakage, brittle hair, or color treatment damage. You can also use it as daily hair care maintenance in order to promote more hair growth.
4. How to use castor oil for hair growth?
Apply only a tiny amount of high-quality castor oil products (if you don’t want to wash it difficultly next morning) to the roots and scalp of your hair 1-2 times per week. Then using your fingertips to massage gently the oil into your scalp and cover with plastic cap or a towel. Leave it for several hours or overnight to get maximum benefits.
The oil is absorbed easily and won’t soil pillows. In case you still worry about stains, let’s cover your pillow before you sleep. After that, wash and rinse hair usually the next morning.
There are several ways to use the oil. You can use it as a pre-shampoo conditioner (prepoo), a deep conditioner, a scalp oil product, or oil for sealing your moisturizer. You should try these uses and find the one that is the most effective for you. If you live in a humid environment, I recommend you ought not to use it as a scalp oil product because your face may be oily during the day.
If for any reason you still have oily hair after washing, break an egg and beat it well, applying it into the scalp will help remove oil easier.
5. Can I mix castor oil with other oils or styling products?
Yes. Castor oil is thick in consistency, therefore, it's always great to mix only a few drops with a light oil like olive, ylang-ylang or jojoba oil in case you prefer. Moreover, combining it with conditioner for extra-deep conditioning or with hair styling products for extra shine and manageability is also a good choice.
One way you can do is to dilute it with some water and essential oil in a spray bottle, then shake it up and spray over your hair. The second way is to use it in undiluted form as a hot oil treatment. Then wrap your hair in heat cap or hot towel for at least an hour or overnight.
6. Will castor oil weigh my relaxed hair down?
It’s possible to do that. Castor oil is really thick. So I always recommend that if you use it as a sealant or scalp oil, apply it very lightly or it will weigh your hair down. Don’t slather it on your hair just because of its ability to hair growth. If your hair is thick, it might not, however, if your hair is fine, it will weigh the hair down with too much oil. I prefer to utilize it as a deep conditioner.
7. How long does it take for this stuff to work on hair?
Let’s give it one month and you'll start to see the change. Most people’s hair grows 1/2 an inch each month normally, so the only way you can know if it is effective for you is that your hair must grow more than 1/2 an inch in any month you use castor oil.
8. Can castor oil help my beard grow?
Yes. It’s possible if you continue to use it regularly and your beard will also be softened as well. It may take from 2 weeks to a month before you get main results. However, that also depends on your genetics.
9. Will castor oil cause my hair to fall out?
Not every product works the same for each people. Some ones say it causes their hair to shed. Since the oil can stimulate hair growth, it may hasten the falling out of hair strands in telogen phase.
In addition, castor oil has moisturizing trait. If you use the oil too much, it can make your hair over-moisturized and break. Although I love castor oil, I think you shouldn’t go on using the product if you feel it is making your hair break out. Give it up from your regimen, and then see if any change happens. If there is, don’t use it anymore. You can use other pure oils as hot oil treatments or deep conditioners.
10. Will castor oil make my scalp itch?
The oil has never made my hair itch but there are some complaints. When you use directly oils in general on your scalp but don’t wash your hair regularly, your scalp can become irritated and increase dandruff. Castor oil has no exception.
Oily scalp is a reason of dandruff and itchy scalp. If you feel itching every time you apply it, just change the way you utilize the oil. You can try using it as a pre-shampoo conditioner, or combining it with a light oil like olive oil or coconut oil.
In case your hair is still itching, get rid of it actually from your hair regimen. After that, in case your hair stops itching, that product may be your culprit. I think you will have to search for other oils for hair.
11. How exactly can I get the oil out of the jar? I'm afraid to pour because I don't want it to come out too much.
Castor oil is really thick, so you just need a small amount of it. You might just dip your finger in the jar to get oil, a dab will work. Or take the jar in one hand, and cover the top with the other hand, do a quick flip of the jar to get some oil out.
t is important to choose the best castor oil for hair and use it correctly and regularly to have a maximum result. You can see that castor oil products have been sold by many sources such as online stores, pharmacies, retailers and so on. Be careful with fake products! You should choose the reliable address where many people believe in. Regular use of this treatment with some patience, it will surely give you wonderful results!