Hemp oil, a darkish green oil, is extracted from the seed of hemp plant, which shares its origin with marijuana plant. While hemp is grown in as many as thirty countries worldwide, marijuana remains illegal in most. Although the two plants come from the same species, they differ significantly in major ways. Their most important polarized factor lies in their difference in the level of THC content, a chemical compound that causes high psychoactive effects found in abundance in marijuana yet minimal quantity in hemp oil.
Hemp oil contains fatty acids, proteins, vitamins and other nutrients that are enormously beneficial to your hair. To bring to your hair a beautiful look, hemp oil can be applied from within. This article will discuss in details three benefits of hemp oil for hair, including: moisture boost, hair growth stimulating and hair strengthening. Along with that, I will also provide you with easy-to-use formulas of each remedy, followed by some instructions to apply hemp oil internally for hair perks.
Hemp oil as a moisturizer
Hemp oil can be perfectly used to condition your scalp and hair with further moisture and nourishment. Loaded with vitamin E, along with a high storage of essential fatty acids, hemp oil for hair provides emollient action, prevent water loss and therefore create a softening effect to your scalp and hair from its root. Besides, the oil acts as a natural moisturizer that minimizes scalp irritation and enhances scalp’s resilience to problems related to excessive dryness.
Scheduling hair care at the salon on a regular basis can be overwhelming sometimes. Now, you can always apply the simple steps below using hemp oil as a moisturizer. Importantly, experts recommend using the oil for hair in the winters or drier climates where it is often way too dry for your hair to remains healthy with outside coldness and inside heating system raised up constantly. If you have been hesitating to try essential oil on hair due to the oily part, then you can give hemp oil a try because it is non-greasy.
Hemp oil as a hair growth stimulator
Hemp oil has omega 3, 6 and 9 – the three polyunsaturated fatty acids that are extremely good for hair growth and elasticity. The ratio of those content in hemp oil is claimed to be balanced and sufficient to stimulate hair growth and protect the hair from potential hair loss due to either inner or outer factors. As air quality degrades and stress mounts in urban cities, people experience more severe hair loss than ever before, with an average of 60-100 hairs falling per day. Hemp oil is one of the rare essential oil that contains all three types of fatty acids that your hair needs the most with the ideal balance of omega 3 and 6 in a ratio of 3:1.
Hemp oil can also help facilitate the formation of keratin, a protein that comprises the primary structural component of hair. This is the root of elastic and resilient hair that sustains environmental impacts and internal nutritional shortage as well.
Hemp oil as a hair strengthening
If you suffer from hair breakage of varying extent, hemp oil is one single remedy that you could resort to regardless of your hair type. Not only providing normal conditioning hair with further moist, the oil comes with sufficient amount of vitamins, fatty acids and proteins that can cure dryness- a major culprit of hair breakage. In addition, hemp oil maintains hair’s natural texture and boost scalp liveliness to become a stronger scaffold of hair. The oil enhances hair’s resilience to breakage and damages from outside environment. Not to mention those harmful chemicals absorbed by the scalp through industrial hair products we often use, totally unaware of how insidious they are to our scalp and hair in the long run.
How to apply hemp oil onto hair?
There are different easy-to-use formats of using hemp oil to improve hair wellness that are validated by scientific researchers in the area of agricultural and food chemistry. While the list below is not an exhaustive one, it provides you with some of the simplest ways to treat your hair with hemp oil.
- You can mix some drops of hemp oil with your shampoo or conditioner. Leave it for 5-10 minutes and then rinse it off with water. This simple treatment can be done daily and the amount of oil can be personally adjusted according to your hair length.
- You can also massage your hair and scalp with hemp oil for an intensive treatment. Leave it overnight before washing the next morning. This therapy is suitable for those living in drier climates that want a more noticeable result within a shorter period of time.
- If you are more comfortable with some kind of heat, then wrap your hair with a shower cap right after applying the oil, dip a clean towel into hot water then fold it around the shower cap. Leave for 30 minutes before shampooing and conditioning the hair. Be careful not to degrade the oil’s properties by overheating.
- Hemp oil makes perfect hair mask in combination with some other organic elements. You can mix 5 tablespoons (tbsp.) of hemp oil, 3 tbsp. of honey, 5 tbsp. of avocado oil, a banana and 5-10 drops of rosemary essential oil. Mix all these ingredients using a blender, apply to your hair and scalp and cover it with a shower cap. Leave for half an hour before rinsing off. Style your hair and enjoy a silky and smooth hair you have always desired.
- You can make hemp oil serum for hair dryness with coconut oil, jojoba oil and a small amount of silk peptide powder to promote suppleness, shine and elasticity. You should make the mixture in a 4 oz. bottle and store in dark, cool place to prevent hemp oil from going rancid. To combat with the heavy nutting smell of hemp seed, you can add several drops of essential oils for fragrance.
It is suggested that you apply hemp oil repeatedly for an average of 3-6 months in order to obtain the best result. Another way to reap off the full perks of hemp oil for hair is to combine external and internal uses.
Internal use of hemp oil
Hair experts advise that regular intake of this oil will benefit your hair even more than external application, particularly in long term. One to two tablespoons of hemp oil a day can stimulate hair growth and reduce shedding. To solve the problem of hemp oil’s taste being a little gross, you can either buy ready-made capsule form or buy empty capsules to fill the oil in on your own.
Hemp oil is often wrongly identified as a psychoactive drug. As it turns out, it is a wonderful hair nourishing agent that comes in easy and effective ways of treatment. Certified products are marked on the label, making it easy for first-time buyers with less experience. Easily purchased at health food stores and online, hemp oil for hair is a must-have remedy in your family cabinet.